The Leander Public Art Commission invites local, and national artists to apply for the initial installation of the Leander Art Bench outdoor permanent collection located in Leander, Texas, USA. The call for proposals is from July 15-August 5. See below for guides.
This phase of the public art project will feature three (3) art benches to be installed on the grounds of the sculpture garden of the Leander Public Library. These one-of-a-kind art benches will add beauty to our community while tripping the imagination switch to ‘full on.’ Up to three (3) semi-finalists will be chosen for each bench location in a preliminary selection process. Each semi-finalist will receive a $200 stipend. One (1) finalist for each location will be chosen to construct an art bench; each of the three finalists will receive $8,000 for bench selected and installed ($4,000 upon execution of Artist Agreement and the final $4,000 when Bench is delivered and installed). The stipend is restricted to cover the items as outlined in the artist’s submitted budget and build plans.
Artists are encouraged to work conceptually with the chosen site. The Library sculpture garden suggests imaginative benches that could explore the history of the area and the excitement of reading.
The theme chosen this year is ‘Texas Tales and Journeys.’
Leander is a small town with a big past. A Texas trail town that saw prehistoric travelers, historic figures and felt the impact of the railroad. It is a growing town, set at the edge of Texas hill country, that has seen much... dreams, conflicts, ambition, excitement, change. Imagination.
The Leander Public Art Commission (LPAC) is a part of the Leander Parks and Recreation Commission. The mission of the LPAC is to provide regional, cultural, and educational enrichment opportunities that encourage, support, and promote the performing and visual arts.
Please contact : Leander Public Art Commission: Art Benches at LPACartbenches@gmail.com for a prospectus and more information. Proposals need to be submitted electronically by August 5th.
Calendar of Events:
1. Call for proposals. July 15-Aug 5th
2. Semi Finalists announced August 11 Contracts, and $200 award sent.
3. Site specific finalized plans due. August 12-25
4. Finalists announced August 31 $4000 awarded to each of 3 finalists
5. Installation September 30 $4000 awarded to winners upon installation.
1. Because the first phase of these benches will be located out doors in the small courtyard/sculpture garden at the public library, there are clearly some size and materials limitations. The bench ideally would permit 3 people to sit on it. The landscaping in the courtyard allows for some shelter from winds, but wind in the hill country is a factor. At this point a generalized idea of the design and the materials is desired, although building materials and accommodations are helpful.
2. Time is also a factor. Although these dates will not permit an abundance of time, there is sufficient time to for completion of the benches.
3. The artist will be responsible for transporting the works, the Commission will work with the artist to prepare the site. The total sum of the Semi- Finalist winners will be$200. The total sum the Finalists will receive is an additional $8000. $4000 upon designation and $4000 upon installation.
4. Although we are including images of the site, the artist is encouraged to visit both the Leander Public Library virtual site (https://www.leandertx.gov/library) as well as the actual site, 1011 S. Bagdad Leander, TX 78641.